Door Installation: Do It Yourself Or Hire A Professional?
Whether you’re working on a remodel or building a new home, you may be thinking about installing an interior or exterior door yourself, rather than hiring a professional. Is that a good idea? Find out now in this blog from Trimlite!
What To Consider Before A DIY Door Installation
DIY door installation is simple enough if you have the skills, tools, and knowledge to handle the job. But here are a few things to consider before DIY door installation.
- Is it a pre-hung door? Pre-hung doors are already attached to a door frame, simplifying the installation process.
- Does the new door fit into the existing frame? If the door is a slab door, you need to consider whether or not it fits into the existing frame. If it doesn’t, this will mean a lot more work, since the frame will need to be replaced.
- Can you transport the door? You will need a truck or a big van to transport one or more doors, since they are very large, wide, and bulky.
- Do you have the tools you need? Depending on the job, you may need a reciprocating saw, level, pry bar, measuring tape, caulk and a caulk gun, a hammer and nails, a screwdriver, and a lot of other tools.
- Do you have any experience? If you’re an experienced DIY’er, installing a door won’t be too tough. But if you’re a first-timer, the project can be a bit more complex.
- Is it worth your time? It may take you up to 8 hours or longer to replace your door. Contractors can get the job done much faster, particularly if there are multiple workers.
The Benefits Of Hiring A Professional
DIY is a good option for some people, but hiring a professional has its benefits too. If you hire a pro for door installation, you’ll enjoy quite a few benefits:
- Free consultation and quote – Door installers can give you a free consultation and quote based on the specifics of your project.
- Knowledgeable – As specialists, contractors know everything there is to know about door installation and can overcome any potential issues that may sidetrack your project.
- Right tools for the job – Naturally, your contractor will be fully equipped with all the tools, supplies, and gear they need to get the job done right.
- Warranties – Along with the warranty provided by the door manufacturer, contractors typically provide a workmanship warranty to guarantee that their work will be done properly and correctly.
Should I Choose DIY Installation Or Turn To The Pros?
If you’ve got the experience, tools, and know-how to handle a door installation on your own, that’s a great choice. But if you’re short on time, don’t mind spending a little more money, and don’t have the skills or tools required to handle the job, hiring a pro is a better option.
But no matter what you choose, you’ll still need a door to install! So don’t wait. Shop our selection of doors now – and find the exterior and interior doors you need to make your home look its best.